The National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Association (NATSIPA) is a national network of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander postgraduate students, non-Indigenous student supporters and Indigenous Elders/Alumni. Our goal is to ensure that Indigenous Australians can access postgraduate education in a fair and equitable manner. This is achieved by valuing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders diverse cultures and histories, supporting their control over their own and their family’s education.
NATSIPA works towards better support, greater funding, and improved opportunities for Indigenous Australians in higher education. We strive to create a comprehensive program to increase public awareness and commitment to partnerships that restore and retain Indigenous spirituality, cultures and languages, social systems, economic systems and self-determination.
NATSIPA’s activities include:
- Providing a national Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander student voice to Federal and State Governments.
- Providing opportunities for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander postgraduate students to link-up, support each other, and share ideas.
- Advising universities on how to best support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students.
- Disseminating information to NIPAAC members, such as scholarship offers, upcoming events and relevant news.
- Assisting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students if they are experiencing problems at university
- Advise CAPA on all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander protocols and issues.
- We will provide leadership to advance Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander postgraduate involvement in Higher Education.
- We will seek opportunities for collaboration and shared leadership with individuals and organizations that share our vision and core values.
- All of our actions will be conducted in accordance to the strict adherence to the highest standards of conduct.
- Diversity and Respect: We embrace diversity in all aspects of our organization, from the people with whom we work, collaborate, and serve, to the ideas and solutions we develop in support of our vision. We are committed to providing an environment in which people; their cultures, their ideas, their beliefs and their opinions are respected.
The National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Association membership is free and all who qualify are welcome to join our organisation.
NATSIPA has four categories of membership:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Postgraduate Student Membership;
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders Elder Membership;
- Alumni Membership;
- and Friends of NATSIPA (non-Indigenous persons) Membership.